English Learners (ELs)
Oskaloosa Community School District provides “English as a Second Language” (ESL) as the Language Instruction Education Program (LIEP) model. The ESL model is a program of techniques, methodology, and special curriculum designed to teach ELs English Language skills, which may include listening, speaking, reading, writing, study skills, content vocabulary, and cultural orientation. Further, ESL instruction is usually in English with little use of the native language.
Oskaloosa Elementary provides inclusion and pull-out instruction for LIEP. Students may be pulled out of their classrooms for instruction or the ESL teacher may work with the student and/or the classroom teacher within the general classroom setting. Oskaloosa Middle and High School students are provided ESL instruction depending on the individual needs of the student.
- Assist students in acquiring the development of English language skills appropriate to their age and grade level as efficiently as possible.
- Orient students to the cultural patterns of American life so that they fully participate in classroom, school, and community activities.
- Develop students’ awareness of cultural diversity and encourage pride in their own bilingualism and biculturalism.
- Enable students to reach grade-level standards in their academic subjects by providing them with supplemental materials, instruction, and resource assistance.
- Effectively coordinate instructional approaches that collaborate with the general education program.
- Provide training for staff persons in culturally sensitive instructional methods and strategies for English Language Learners (ELs).
- Assist parents of EL students to take an active role in the education of their student.
Parents have the right to decline EL services for their student. If a parent wishes to waive EL services, a meeting is held to discuss concerns and potential outcomes. Parents annually complete and sign a waiver form. Parents also have the option to re-enroll in services at any time.
We’re sorry, no profiles were found for this listing.