Here are Some Tips and How-To's for Using Your Chromebook
Some browser issues require clearing the browser cache or history so that web pages display correctly. Follow all of the steps below in order:
- Click on the 3 dots at top right in chrome browser and choose history, select history again.
- Choose clear browsing data on the left side.
- Make sure to change at the top to say All Time, not just last hour.
- Make sure all 3 boxes are checked.
- Then click clear data.
- Sign out of chromebook and sign back in.
If you need to plug in a device that you are trying to charge or that needs power to operate, use the USB port on the left side of the Dell as you have it open. There are known issues with the right side causing a power overload and it will cause your Dell chromebook to not power on until our repair center resets it. The left side is a USB 3.0 port where the right side is only 2.0.
This is simple to do. Go to File - Download As and choose the format you want to save it in. Or you can choose Email as Attachment if you are emailing it, and choose the format you need in Attach As in the popup window.
- Open Google Drive and click the gear icon near the top and to ther right of the window, choose settings.
- Put a checkmark in the box next to Convert uploaded files...
- Close the settings window.
Your keyboard probably got changed.
Go to the settings by clicking the task bar with the time, wifi signal, etc. Set keyboard back to "US Keyboard"
You will need to enable offline docs in your Google settings:
And tips for other offline use: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3214688?hl=en
You can use WeVideo or Screencastify.
WeVideo is limited to 5 minutes and Screencastify 10 minutes. Screencastify lets you make videos using your computer screen, like tutorials on how to use a computer.
Here's a video on how to use Screencastify: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5AzFH5QfA
Oskaloosa Schools only allows approved extensions to be installed. Pre-approved extensions are in the Osky Schools web store and/or Play Store.
Click on the magnifying glass icon in your taskbar and go to Web Store. If you don't see it listed there, go to All Apps and find Web Store in there.
The common ones you are allowed to install are in the Chrome Store for your school. You can install any of those apps or extensions. There are some organizational tools, assistive technology apps and other apps that your teachers have requested students use for their class. You can browse other apps in the regular web store, but will not be allowed to install them.
When you open a PDF in Google Drive, it will open with a black border behind it and at the top it says Open With. Click the Open With and choose either Lumin PDF or Doc Hub. I prefer Lumin PDF as it's a simpler interface but try either one and see which one works best for you. Then click the text tool - it shows a letter A in the toolbar and click it where you want to type an answer. Then type in that box. You can also change color of text and draw lines.
Our chromebooks are compatible with (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n) (WEP, WPA, WPA2)
- Make sure your home router isn't limiting the devices that can connect to it by their MAC addresses. If it is, your chromebook would need manually added to the router to allow it to connect.
- Make sure your DHCP settings in your router have enough addresses allowed for all of the devices that are connecting in the home.
- Try rebooting your router.
- If it still isn't connecting, also try shutting down the chromebook completely and powering it back on and log in.
There are several ways you can get pictures and videos from your phone to your chromebook. Some will vary depending on the type of phone you have.
Email them to yourself. Have your school google gmail account on your phone, then simply email the photo to your school google account. We recommend using the Gmail app. You can have multiple accounts on your Gmail app. Just make sure you are using your school account to send the photo as elementary is restricted to only receiving email from within our school domain. Download the photo from your Gmail on the chromebook, which will put the photo into your Google Drive.
Install Google Drive app on your phone and share the photos/videos to your google drive. You can have multiple accounts on your phone, just make sure to pick the school one when you go into Drive. Click the picture or icon in the top right to see which account is signed in and choose a different one if needed. Then in your photos/camera app, share it to Google Drive. Then on your chromebook you should see those photos in your Google Drive.
Depending on your phone model, you may be able to connect the phone with the USB cable to the chromebook and transfer pictures. It is a little more involved and takes more steps, but google your type of phone with transferring photos to chromebook to find specific instructions.
1. Find the symbol you want to type in this chart: https://unicode-table.com/en/#0394
2. Click on it to get the unicode number you will need.
3. In your document, hold down the ctrl-shift-u keys and you will see an underlined u
4. Type in the unicode of your symbol.
Example: To type a triangle/delta symbol, the code is 0394.
ctrl-shift-u then type 0394 and hit enter/return and it should show a triangle symbol ∆