Welcome to the Home School Assistance Program Information page!
The Oskaloosa Home School Assistance Program (HSAP) was established as a viable educational alternative to better serve the community of Oskaloosa. The Osky HSAP recognizes the right and competence of parents to educate their children and offers academic support and a variety of resources that will assist families throughout their home schooling journey. For parents who choose to educate their children at home, the Osky HSAP provides another alternative for complying with state legal requirements. The Oskaloosa Community School District will add no additional requirements on home educators other than the minimum required by state law.
- Families in the HSAP are completely free to choose their own curriculum and to design an educational plan that is independently catered to their child.
- Optional enrichment classes will be offered to supplement the parents’ teaching. The subject of these classes will be based on the desires of participating families. Possible classes include music, art, science labs, computer skills, speech and themed unit studies.
- Organized field trips provide an opportunity to meet other homeschooling families and enrich your home studies.
- The HSAP coordinator will be available to offer advice on curriculum, record keeping, high school transcripts, organization, learning styles, as well as assistance with state forms.
- HSAP families may also dual enroll in the public school system to take advantage of classes and activities offered in the Oskaloosa public schools. This includes, but is not limited to, sports, music, drama and robotics.
- The resource library offers educational resources that are available to check out on a monthly or yearly basis. Available items include curriculum, science equipment such as microscopes and models, manipulatives, educational games and puzzles. Also available are reading and audio materials that offer inspiration and encouragement for home school families.
- Annual assessments are not required but will be offered for parents who desire to have their children’s academic progress assessed.
The Osky HSAP was created to serve home school families in our community. If you would like more information on this educational option please contact our HSAP Coordinator, Angela Pedersen at email@example.com or (641) 672-3717.
508 South 7th Street
Oskaloosa, IA 52577